“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”
(Jim Elliot’s journal entry for October 28, 1949—based upon the words of Jesus in Luke 9:24, “ For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.”
- Give up your plans for God’s plans.
- Give up your mortal life to gain immortal life in Christ.
- Give up hoarding money to gain infinite spiritual wealth.
- Give up your frustrations to gain God’s peace.
- Give up your preferences for God’s truth.
- Give up your unforgiveness to gain God’s forgiveness.
- Give up your control of others to gain God’s control of you.
What we hold onto is so futile, so temporary, so poor in comparison to what God offers, one wonders why it is so difficult to give up. The answer is simple—it’s everything we have! Jim Elliot, the 28-year-old missionary to Ecuador who was murdered along with four other young missionaries by warriors from the Huaorani tribe, gave up his earthly life. What he gained will never be taken away. To say it in slightly different words, ”They are wise who give up what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose.”